SmartBOARD is a next generation fiber cement sheet which is waterproof, termite proof, weather proof, very strong and durable and is suitable for usage in External Cladding, Internal linings, Drywall Partitions, False ceilings, Subflooring, Subroofing etc.
SmartBOARD is manufactured by SCG (Siam Cement Group). SCG generates approx 20 billion USD in revenues annually and is one of the largest industrial conglomerates and manufacturers of high grade building products in Thailand/ Asia.
SmartBOARD is next generation fiber cement sheet with cellulose fiber, portland cement, silica and other admixtures that are manufactured under a highly controlled environment using the Firm & Flex Technology. The Firm & Flex Technology is achieved with the use of highest grade of raw materials, combined with a highly sophisticated manufacturing process. The Firm & Flex technology of Smartboard and Smartwood system makes them strong and durable and flexible/bendable at the same time.
As a building material, Smartboard is the biggest alternate to Plyboard, gypsum board and composite facading materials. Smartboard wall system (SmartWall) is the biggest alternate for a brick or concrete block wall.
Benefits of SmartBoard System:
- SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE AND WEATHER PROOF: Smartboard is water proof, termite proof, fire proof, sound proof and has good thermal insulation.
- USE IN INTERIORS AND EXTERIORS: SmartBoard can be used both in interiors and exteriors.
- HIGH IMPACT LOAD: SmartBoard has high impact resistance. So it can take a lot of heavy beating without any damage.
- BENDABLE : Smartboard is flexible and can be bent if needed.
- HIGH POINT LOAD STRENGTH: Smartboard has high point load strength and can hang heavy paintings or tv screens on Smartboard without any special framing in the back. Each point can carry a load of 80-90 kg.
- VERSATILE SURFACE: Smartboard has a very versatile surface which can be painted. One can also paste laminate, wood veneer, wall paper, ceramic tiles, thin stones directly on the surface of the board.
- HIGH SOUND INSULATION: Smartwall system has good sound insulation properties.
- NO NEED FOR POP/ PUNNING: Since the Smartboard surface is smooth, painting can be directly on the surface without any pop. There is no waviness in Smartboard walls surface, so one can enjoy beautiful straight walls without any undulations. Even the best of POP walls have undulations in them, whereas the Smartboard wall is smooth and beautiful.
- EASY WORKABILITY: Smartboard can be cut like plyboard with normal wood cutting tools.
- NAILING/ SCREWING POSSIBLE: It is possible to both nail and screw in Smartboard, so it can be used pretty similar to plyboard.
- SPEED: As a wall system Smartwall from Smartboard is around 30 times faster than brick wall. The average efficiency of brick wall with a good team of 1 skilled mason and 2 hepers is around 35 sq ft/ day. Whereas, with Smartwall one can achieve an efficiency of 1000-1200 sq ft in one day with a skilled team. Large amounts of money can be saved in financial costs due to faster completion of projects.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Smartwall system is 1/6 the weight of a conventional 4.5” brick wall.
- MORE CARPET AREA: Smartwall system can have a thinner wall cross section thus providing more carpet/ saleable area for the project.
- EASY MAINTENANCE: Since all the electrical, plumbing conduits are within the hollow wall, the wall can be opened if repair and maintenance is required and then easily repaired and closed up.
- FLEXIBILITY IN DESIGN: The developers can offer more flexible interior layout options to customers, since it is much easier to move walls.
- GREEN CONSTRUCTION: Since the Smartboard is a environmentally responsible green product. Smartwall system qualifies for green building concept.
- ECONOMICAL: The direct cost of the Smartwall system is identical to the construction cost of a 4.5” brick wall. But with the indirect cost saving due to light weight, faster speed, more carpet area the Smartwall system would be about 20-30% cheaper than the conventional systems.
Relevance of SmartBoard in India
One of the biggest problems for project delays in India lies in the way we build partition walls. Even though we use the most advanced structural systems to make the structures of the buildings faster and better, our technology to make walls remains pretty much the same as 100 years ago. There really has not been much of innovation in wall technology in India. Globally most countries have graduated to the drywall technology several decades ago.
Smartboard has been launched in India by Hydrobaths Ramco Marketing Pvt Ltd, a company that has been known as the trendsetter in the Premium Bathware and Tile industry for over 20 years now. Hydrobaths has now diversified into Architectural Building Products and is setting another benchmark by introducing innovative wall technologies from Smartboard that have the potential to revolutionize the construction industry in India.
Smartboard has also started its first flagship experience center in Gurgaon where all the products and solutions from Smartboard are on live display. The experience center is rich resources for the customers/ designers/ developers/ trade partners/ channel partners to visit and experience the Smartboard products and systems. The Display center is one of its kind and has been designed in an interesting educational manner where clients, architects, designers can understand the technicalities of how and why of the Smartboard products and solutions.
Mr. Gian Carlo Savian, Principal designer EDP says, “It is estimated that delivery of 480,000 residential units across affordable, mid and luxury housing segments, scheduled for completion during 2012-13, will be delayed in 11 cities. The amount of cost overruns in projects in interest costs due to delayed projects (due to old wall technology) is criminal. Therefore, there is an outcry for speed as the construction will need to be much faster now. The volumes and sizes have forced the industry to look into alternative technology to replace conventional wall construction technologies. Rapid urbanization, tremendous shortage of skilled labor and the need for having hassle free construction methods is a trigger to offer brickless technology to build projects better, faster and cheaper. In times to come drywall will not remain an option. It will become a necessity and way of construction as it has become in all the developed countries.”